Our AncestorsSébastien Provencher and Marguerite Manchon
Sébastien PROVENCHER is the ancestor of all the PROVENCHERS in America. Unfortunately, his precise origin is still unknown in France. However, recent research lead us to believe that Sebastien Provencher's birthplace is in Pithiviers and Marguerite Manchon's birthplace is at Athenay, in Loiret, France.Research is ongoing to find a document that will allow us to fully justify the ongoing research.
Accrediting very plausible thesis Pithiviers and Arthenay as Sébastien Provencher birthplaces and Marguerite Manchon, Canada's first generation of this family is as follows:
PROVENCHER, Sebastian, son of Sébastien Provenchere Bretonnet and Catherine, born in 1634 (rec. 1667) in Pithiviers (Saint-Salomon Church, Orleans, Loiret, France. Married January 22, 1663 in Cap-de-la-Madeleine (marriage contract Louis Laurant, January 22, 1663, Archives Trois-Rivières) sLEEVE Marguerite, born in Artenay, March 28, 1637 (St. Victor church) Orléans, Loiret, France, daughter of Nicolas and Marchon Marie Baratin.
- Madeleine. Born in late 1663; m 15 November 1676 (not marriage contract. Antoine Adhémard) in Aubin Maudous, son of Michael and Mary Maudous Arnaude. Died June 19, 1731 in Saint-Michel-de-Yamaska.
- Marguerite. Born around 1665 (rec. 1667). Married April 28, 1682 in Cap-de-la-Madeleine (marriage contract, not. Jean Cusson) to Anthoine de Villiers Cottenoire, son of Francis and Mary Coffin Cottenoir. Died October 27, 1739 in Ile Dupas.
- Louis. Born around 1668 (rec. 1681). Married 14 May 1691 Cap-de-la-Madeleine, Simone Massé, daughter of Jacques Massé and Marie Catherine Guillet. Died on 27 November. 1725 Cap-de-la-Madeleine. From 10 children, 6 boys and 4 girls.
- Sébastien. Born around 1670 (rec. 1681). Married 22 August 1694 (ct. Marriage not. Sévérin Ameau) Marie-Anne Massé, daughter of Jacques Massé and Marie-Catherine Guillet. Died in Montreal on February 17, 1739. Coming 9 children, 7 boys and 2 girls.
- Jean-François. Born on 1 February 1674 in Cap-de-la-Madeleine. Marie 15 November 1701 in Batiscan Marguerite Moreau, daughter of Jean Moreau and Anne Guillet. Died February 2, 1734 in Bécancour. From 10 children, 4 boys and 6 girls.
- Catherine. Born April 23, 1678 in Cap-de-la-Madeleine. Married August 2, 1702 (Contract Jean-Baptiste Pottier) Louis Massé, son of Jacques Massé and Marie-Catherine Guillet.